Just a quick note to clarify what this blog is all about, plus some links back to a few of my favourite older articles posted when I had approximately zero readers.
I mostly write within three themes:
- How to usefully talk about your idea (including learning, pitching, and listening)
- The practicalities of starting up under non-ideal circumstances (no co-founder, no connections, no money, no credibility?)
- The ambiguous & messy realities of devising, validating, building, and tanking a tech startup.
The lessons we rarely see
I approach these topics from the perspective of the founders you never hear about. Those who fail before ever appearing on the radar.
These silent failures outnumber–by far–the rest of the startup universe. I’ve been lucky enough to talk to a load of these founders through my time hanging around uni entrepreneurship programs. If you’re starting out, their lessons may be more relevant than you would like to believe.
And since I’m a startup nerd, I also occasionally overanalyze lean-startup and dig deep into a particular business model, case study, or framework which catches my fancy (such as this video about the business of strip clubs).
Finally, I’m working on a few longer, more in-depth series:
- A tech entrepreneur’s perspective on the social enterprise community
- Teaching (and learning) entrepreneurship (you can’t force passion, but you can certainly teach crucial skills)
- Honest case studies of the challenges faced (and compromises made) by in-progress startups
So that’s what’s coming up. If there’s anything else you would enjoy having my perspective on, please let me know in the comments.
Since this is already a meta post, allow me to take the opportunity to say:
Thank you so much for reading!
I would truly love to hear from you — drop me a note at email@example.com to let me know what you [dis]like about what I’m up to or just to fill me in on what you’re working on. I’ll help if I’m able!
Launch an experiment, plant a flag Next Post:
Why would a developer invest time in your startup’s platform?