by • November 22, 2011 • UncategorizedComments (13)813

10 minute Business Model Canvas workshops

As you know, I’m obsessed with Osterwalder & co’s Business Model Canvas. It’s the only business tool I’ve found which I use every day. A while back, I made about a dozen quick video workshops to walk through how I use it.

Here are two, clocking in at 4 and 8 minutes, respectively.

The first is a breakdown of a fascinating nighttime security model which disrupts not one but two industries.

The second is a look at how channel and cost structure combine to make for highly fundable businesses.

I love making these things, so let me know if they’re useful and I’ll whip up another batch based on the past few months’ learning.

13 Responses to 10 minute Business Model Canvas workshops

1. I think that these were really useful in illustrating how to think about modeling your business as well as how to make a good business even more attractive. Also really enjoyed hearing how to think about what components need to be present in the model to make it scale effectively when adding capital. Great job, looking forward to more (especially if there is an easy way to subscribe!)

2. Jan says:

hi rob – wrt to the second video: when should you boostrap then?

i take it it’s
    - when fixed costs really low
    - when channels unaffected by investment or good enough without

There’s a bit of overlap.. the business models aren’t opposites.

The other big part of fundable models, which I didn’t talk about (but really should have) is that they create a defensible advantage as they scale — e.g. Twitter’s network effect. It creates a winner-takes-all situation where it makes sense to invest heavily to become the first winner.

Bootstrapping models usually don’t have that winner-takes-all or network-effect in play, unless they happened to get in first and get lucky (e.g. craigslist, plentyoffish) because if they did, a better funded competitor could ruin them.

Personally speaking, I would first decide whether I wanted to run a bootstrapped or funded company, and would then choose a business model which suited that, rather than begin by picking a business.

Models which I described in the video as “fundable” could also be “bootstrappable” as long as they don’t have a winner-takes-all effect at play.

(with the caveat that this is just my perspective and zillions of exceptions exist everywhere)

3. David Bizer says:

Have you ever had a look at phase2generator.com? We’ve tried to build something which people can use not only as a business model generator, but an instructive experience teaching steps along the way.
    Would love your thoughts.
    David

Hey David, the design’s nice and the questions are solid (I particularly like inlining the informational videos) but you lose a lot of the advantages of a canvas by stepping through it linearly… in my experience they come together incrementally… a shallow picture of the whole gradually made deeper in certain areas until the questions and open risks become apparent.

The linear editing process loses that and the canvas feels a bit like a different visualisation of a business plan, rather than something which behaves (to the creator) like a canvas.

That being said, the proof is in the pudding, as they say ;). Is it working well for you guys?

PS congrats on the recent company launches. They look great!

• Ryne says:

That’s a geuinenly impressive answer.

4. sojourner says:

Would love to see more of these. Looking forward to the next batch.

5. Jan says:

What programme do you use to make these?