by • December 31, 2011 • UncategorizedComments (11)728

The 10 posts I learned the most from this week

Happy new year! This is a new post format. Does this sort of once-a-week curation deliver any value, or is it just blog spam? Please let me know in the comments, on twitter (@robfitz), or via email (rob@thestartuptoolkit.com). Thanks! All the very best.

The idea that we need to be sane and organised to do good work is baloney by @SPressfield

What Flossing Taught Me About Success by @chrisbrogan

Advice on Getting Better from an Accomplished Piano Player by Cal Newport

We’re good at answers. Q, not so much by Seth Godin

Why Amazon Is The Best Strategic Player In Tech by @vgr

Sometimes Things Just Keep Getting Worse by @jaltucher

The simple first rule of branding and marketing anything by Seth Godin

A startup solving monetizable pain will not need an ROI calculator by @smartfaststartup

A startup escape path by @swombat

And my favourite post of the week is…

Could The Rebellion Against Traditional Publishing Actually Work? by @sebastmarsh

Sebastian Marshall has placed himself squarely within crazy town lately. His more extreme posts of the past couple months have entertained but left me skeptical.

However, his attack on the publishing industry is nothing short of amazing and lends enough credibility to everything he’s written previously for me to interpret his entire corpus in a different light. A jarring reminder of the power of one vocal person unwilling to compromise with an antiquated industry’s legion of lawyers.

11 Responses to The 10 posts I learned the most from this week

1. Marco says:

I like it, because it connects me to your insides. I will probably adopt that on my blog.

We need more links on the internet and not on closed systems like Twitter, Facebook, etc.

2. Richard says:

I can’t list my ten websites because afraid they’re ahem R rated :). Plus you already know how you do it, so I didn’t learn some them anyway but I did enjoy it, does that count?

3. Sean Murphy says:

These are good, I had noticed a few of them but found most of the others very insightful. I would prefer that you link to the directly instead of through bitly but that’s just to make it easier to tell what I have already read. Your blog keeps getting better.

Thanks Sean, really appreciate it — I remember doing a skype call w/ you regarding the earliest version of this site back before the business model canvas and lean startup had made friends with each other ;). Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback way back when.

The bit.ly links are an artifact of me digging through my tweet archives for the week and grabbing all the links from there.

4. Linden says:

I’m not much of a blog expert, but thinking of starting my own (I’m very opinionated). I’ve had the pleasure of reading a few of your posts after a friend of mine sent me a link to your supermodel post.

Re the format of this post, I’d say it’s pretty useless. If you are going to format it like that, think more the layout of Digg. Now a site full of rubbish but the format is what you want. Pictures and short captions, and if you want to get really fancy, an indicator at how popular they were.

However, I’m not sure you really need a weekly post like this unless it is coming as an email. But since you are blogging everyday and the good stuff has the potential of getting lost in the abyss, consider making your front page look more like this so people can get a taste for what your writing is really all about.

Just write an algorithm that puts the most popular stuff at the top, but gives priority to new stuff…; browse by topic / popularity / date. The date you made the post is probably the least important thing, unless you’re someone that reads your posts everyday, which lets face it I’m sure most people aren’t. Consider using cookies so that regular visitors see more new stuff… Now I’m rambling.

Food for thought…

• Linden says:

oh… they’re other people’s posts.

But to continue that line of thought, if it would be possible to “like” your articles without commenting on them or posting them to our social media, that could assist.

5. Toko Susu says:

Toko Susu says This is a great post

6. cathy says:

http://WWW.MOTOPARTSMAX.COM is your motocross, motorcycle, off-road and street bike superstore for: Motocross, go kart, Dirt Bike, ATV, UTV parts

7. Great problems the following. I am able to professional your current document. Many thanks and I am having a look forward get in touch with people. Can you please decline us a postal mail?